Compared to other specialists, pediatricians are not sued very often. But when they are, it tends to be very costly. The PIAA Data Sharing Project report on closed claims between 2006 and 2015 indicates that pediatrics had the fourth highest average indemnity by specialty. To address this risk, LAMMICO writers have been building our library of pediatric education programs available on MedicalInteractive.com. The four pediatric-focused educational courses currently available include:
- Risk and Claims in Pediatrics: Case Study in Sepsis (1 hour CME credit, 1 RM credit, MOC-approved by ABPMR, ABP). This activity explores pediatric risk patterns and professional liability claims experience. It presents a diagnostic case study of sepsis and suggests practical risk-reduction strategies based on lessons learned from the case, the claims data and professional literature.
- Pediatric Asthma Series: Asthma is the most common chronic health condition in children under 18 years. This threepart series allows a more extensive look into asthma in the pediatric population. Each part offers 0.5 hours of CME, CNE, and RM credit. All three parts are MOC-approved by ABP. (1.5 hours for completion of the entire series).
- Part I: Risks, Burden, Practice Gaps includes statistics and practice gaps related to pediatric asthma.
- Part II: Guidelines from the National Asthma Educationand Prevention Program are presented to support the decision-making process in patient care. Four necessary components of asthma care are the focus: Assessment and monitoring, education, control of environmental factors and comorbid conditions, and medications
- Part III: Education for a Partnership in Care offers strategies to enhance the communication between healthcare providers, patients and caregivers for effective asthma selfmanagement.
Later this year, additional monographs will be available on Medical Interactive, including:
- To Dismiss or Not to Dismiss: The Problem of Pediatric Vaccine Refusers
- Slowing Antibiotic Resistance: Strategies for Outpatient Pediatricians
- Safer Diagnosis of Appendicitis in Children: A New Tool.
LAMMICO policyholders can access these materials free of charge by logging in as a Member.