For more than 15 years, the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services’ Office for Civil Rights (OCR) has tracked the most-often alleged compliance issues included in HIPAA complaints. According to a recent report from the American Medical Association, the five most common HIPAA compliance issues, as compiled by the OCR, are:
- Impermissible uses and disclosures of protected health information,
- Lack of safeguards of protected health information,
- Lack of patient access to their protected health information,
- Lack of administrative safeguards of electronic protected health information, and
- Use or disclosure of more than the minimum necessary protected health information.
LAMMICO insureds have access to complimentary online education regarding HIPAA and medical data security best practices by logging in as a Member at lammico.com.