Small Practices Don't Need an EHR to Avoid A Penalty!
Eligible clinicians and groups have until December 31, 2018, to submit a Promoting Interoperability Hardship Exemption. Simply being in a small practice (less than 15 eligible clinicians) can exempt you from the EHR requirement.
Promoting Interoperability (PI) is the latest rendition of the Meaningful Use program. This performance category rewards providers for employing and utilizing EHR technology in their practices. In the 2018 performance year, PI counts for 25% of the total MIPS composite score.
However, eligible clinicians and groups may apply for a re-weighting of the PI category, and those 25 points would be allocated to the Quality category.
A CMS resource describing the PI exception can be found here.
It's not too late to avoid a penalty!
If you are a MIPS eligible clinician, all you need is 15 points to avoid a Medicare penalty! Reporting can be done at no cost and without disruption to your patient flow.
- Complete CDC training on opioids or antibiotics
- Have a process to timely notify patients of abnormal test results
- See Medicaid or dual eligible Medicare/Medicaid patients in your practice
- Use the PDMP
- Provide educational opportunities for new clinicians
- Have extended office hours or access to a patient's medical record 24/7
- Evaluate patient satisfaction
- Reconcile patient medications across settings or conduct structured medication reviews
- Track patients referred to specialists or send structured referral notes
- Send a report back to a referring doctor after you evaluate and/or treat a patient
May be able to attest to one or more Improvement Activities (IA). The IA performance category is worth 15 points and is enough to avoid a five percent Medicare penalty!
Let us help you!
There is no charge for our consultation. These services are provided to you because you are a LAMMICO insured. Participation in the Quality Payment Program can also help you mitigate your malpractice risk through increasing patient engagement and satisfaction.
Contact LAMMICO Practice Management Specialist, Natalie Cohen, MBA, MHA, at 504.841.2727 or email@example.com.
This is not legal or financial advice, and is not intended to substitute for individualized business or financial judgment. It does not dictate exclusive methods and is not applicable to all circumstances.