The Atlantic hurricane season began June 1 in Louisiana and the Gulf Coast. In the midst of yet another hurricane season, LAMMICO reminds policyholders of resources available to help you prepare in the event of a weather emergency to limit disruption to your practice.
Hurricane Preparedness Manual for Medical Practices
This manual offers tips on hurricane preparation, response and recovery unique to medical practices. LAMMICO policyholders can access the manual by logging in as a Member at lammico.com. The guide is available in the "Risk Management - Reference Manuals" section in the right-hand column of the Member homepage.
Risk Management Telephone Consultation
LAMMICO’s certified Risk Managers are available during regular business hours to answer your or your office personnel’s questions. Please contact the LAMMICO Risk Management and Patient Safety Department at 504.841.5211 or 800.452.2120 to speak to the Risk Manager on call.
Hurricane Preparation Checklist
Below is a brief checklist of items “to do” in preparation for upcoming hurricanes. More can be found in the "Hurricane Preparedness Manual for Medical Practices" mentioned above.
- Back up your EMR and financial information and ensure the backup is secure.
- Protect paper records to the best of your ability. Elevate above flood-level.
- Update your business continuity plan with current employee contact information.
- Verify the employees intended destination in the event of an evacuation (this may have changed due to travel restrictions or other circumstances).
- Notify vendors of an evacuation/office closure in the event of an expected delivery of PPE or other supplies.
- Change your office voicemail, and place an advisory on your portal.
- Print your appointment schedule for the next week, and ensure you have patient contact information to notify patients of appointment changes or cancellations.
- Plan for conducting telemedicine visits from a different location.
Remember, LAMMICO is here to protect our policyholders. We are confident in the strength of our business continuity efforts to ensure that we can continue to serve you with minimal disruption in the event of a hurricane.