Practice Solutions Seminar Resources
Following LAMMICO's half-day seminar for medical office staff, "Current Trends in the Physician Practice," we present several supplemental resources. These resources are made available to those seeking details to aid in office management, compliance, patient safety and risk mitigation. Click to expand each category of content below for access to relevant links to supplemental detail.
Practice-specific consultation for QPP and Revenue Cycle Management is available to LAMMICO insureds free of charge. Contact LAMMICO Practice Management Specialist, Natalie Cohen, MBA, MHA, at 504.841.2727 or email@example.com.
Quality Payment Program (QPP)
- QPP 2017 Exemption Reminder and Attestation
- Performance Scores for 2017 Claims Data Available on QPP Website
- New Year, New QPP Rules
- New QPP Rules for 2018: Non-Participation Penalty Increases to 5%
- 2018 QPP Reporting: Quality
- 2018 QPP Reporting: Improvement Activities
- 2018 QPP Reporting: Advancing Care Information
- Compliance With New Louisiana Legislation Can Help You Avoid a Medicare Penalty
- Give Your Opinion to CMS and AVOID a 5% Penalty at the Same Time!
- The Quality Payment Program is Complicated. Avoiding a Penalty is Not!
Security Risk Assessment
- HealthIT.gov – Security Risk Assessment Tool
- AMA - Security Risk Analysis Webinar
- NIST Resource Guide HIPAA Security Rule
Audit Protocol and Results
- OCR 2017 Audit Protocol
- Sample - Interview and Document Request for HIPAA Security Onsite Investigations and Compliance Reviews – Summary Interview and Documentation Request
- OIG Compliance Plans
- Audit Findings 2016 - NIST
- OCR Guide for HIPAA and FTC
- ONC for HIT Guide to Privacy and Security of EHR
- Guidance Regarding Methods for De-identification of Protected Health Information in Accordance with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Privacy Rule
- Top 10 Tips for Cybersecurity in Health Care
- Handling Destructive Malware
- The NIST Cybersecurity Framework and the FTC
- Report of the Health Care Cybersecurity Taskforce
- 17 Steps to Develop a Complete Cybersecurity Plan
- Phishing/Password Tips
- Cybersecurity Checklist and Infographic
- TMHCC CyberNET - available to LAMMICO insureds by logging in to Practice Solutions
- Cybersecurity Checklist and Infographic
- The Omnibus Bill, Cybersecurity & the Protection of Health Information
- Protect Your Practice from an IT Security Breach
- Practical Tips to Prevent a Medical Record Hack
- $475,000 HIPAA Settlement for Hospital’s Untimely Reporting of Breach
- Claim Closed: Trend Analysis of Cyber Liability Claims from 2016
- Social Media Professional Guidelines For Physicians
- Defamation Claims Based on Negative Online Reviews: Are They Ever Worth It?
- Crafting a Responsible and Compliant Response to a Negative Social Media Review
- Federal Law Prohibits Censorship of Online Reviews
- Counteracting Negative Online Reviews Through Effective Brand Management
- Opioid Rules: Unused, Unlocked and Undisposed in Louisiana
- Tips on Handling Kangaroos in the Medical Office
- New ACA Rule Regarding Language Interpreters
Revenue Cycle Management (RCM)
- Claim Adjustment Reason Code (CARC) - Reference page of CARCs to communicate an adjustment, meaning that they must communicate why a claim or service line was paid differently than it was billed
- Remittance Advice Remark Codes (RARC) - Reference page containing healthcare code lists, health insurance exchange code lists, and property & casualty code lists
- How to Use the Medicare National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) Tools - Instructional PDF to inform correct coding for Medicare reimbursements
- Active Local Coverage Determination (LCDs) & Articles - Novitas Solutions, Inc.'s index of medical policy information.
- Novitas is a provider website intended exclusively for Medicare providers and healthcare industry professionals. You will be prompted to self-identify so that the web displays the most relevant Medicare information index.
- CMS Medicare Coverage Database - This site contains all National Coverage Determinations (NCDs) and Local Coverage Determinations (LCDs), local articles, and proposed NCD decisions. The database also includes several other types of National Coverage policy related documents, including National Coverage Analyses (NCAs), Coding Analyses for Labs (CALs), Medicare Evidence Development & Coverage Advisory Committee (MEDCAC) proceedings, and Medicare coverage guidance documents.
- "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act 15 U.S.C. §§ 1692-1692p" - PDF of the FDCPA, last amended July 2010
- Medicare Physician's Fee Schedule (MPFSDB) Indicator Descriptions - Database provided by Novitas Solutions, Inc.
- to clearly describe the fields contained on the Medicare Physician's Fee Schedule Database (MPFSDB)
- Louisiana Insurance Law and Administrative Procedure: Title 22 Louisiana Insurance Code - Louisiana State Prompt Payment Statute
- “HHS announces challenge to redesign the medical bill for patients” - CMS’s article on the “A Bill You Can Understand” Contest
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Family Medicine
- MLN Matters® Articles - CMS articles explaining national Medicare policy
- Novitas Solutions - Part B carrier for Louisiana and Arkansas
More articles will be made available as RCM updates unfold. For now, published articles include:
- You Do Not Have To Accept Virtual Credit Cards as Payment (eNews 10.19.17)
- Medicare Fee Schedule Changes (Published 2.7.2017)
Contact Your Risk Manager
LAMMICO's Risk Management and Patient Safety Department is staffed with experienced clinical risk managers well-versed in the latest trends in medical professional liability. Call 504.841.5211 or visit lammico.com/team-risk-management to speak with your local representative.